Topics of the Day
Never call the phone number on a webpage that says your computer is infected. It's the well-known Tech Support Scam. <link>
The new US-301 is supposed to be open 1 Jan 2019. It is electronic tolls only: $4 at the DE/MD line by EZ-Pass or $5.60 by mailed toll to the car license on record. Details here: <link> A nice 'fly-over' video is here: <link>
Favorities & Bookmarks (Just ask Google! <link>)
What’s a “PDF?”
Click vs. Double-Click
Make the Mouse Pointer Easier to See <link>
Can you play Chess Titans on Win10? Yes! <link>
A little more techie Q&Ss:
Make your Christmas address labels with Mail Merge. Here's a PDF with instructions: <link>
HDDs vs. SSDs - the easiest way to speed up a PC!
The Ccleaner Saga - I still like it, but it drops off my 'recommended' list. Use v5.40 <link>
What does it mean? - "Windows 10 is supported for the life of the machine."
Win10 Feature Update(s) - What interests me, the rest, eh :-/ <link>
Verizon FiOS - read the fine print.
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Monday, November 5, 2018
Topics of the day
Tech News:* We've now got a new-to-us B&N "Nook" ereader in our lending library.
* Google now signs you into Chrome without asking. And remembers you email address.
* Freezing your credit reports at the Big 3 is now free.
* California passed a Net Neutrality bill and gets sued. By the Federal Government!
* Microsoft withdraws the Windows 10 October update due to customer data loss.
* Did Google hide Google+ data breech? 90% of user sessions in Google+ were <90 seconds.
* The Tesla 3 is the 4th best selling sedan in 3Q 2018, beating all US brands.
* There is a kit to make the Toyota Prius Prime self-driving. (Less than it appears.)
Is this a Phish? How to dissect and research an unknown email.
Spam or Not? Email examples: Unsubscribe, Spam, Ignore or Delete?
Dark Patterns Video. Yes, they are trying to trick you
* Free eReader program: https://calibre-ebook.com/
* Google Chrome Login: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/17895536/google-chrome-69-log-in-sync-password-user-data-privacy
* Free Credit Freeze: https://askbobrankin.com/alert_freeze_your_credit_files_for_free.html
* Net Neutrality: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/01/653232831/doj-sues-california-over-new-net-neutrality-rules
* Windows 10 1809 Feature update: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-update-version-1809/
* Google problem with Google+: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/17951914/google-plus-data-breach-exposed-user-profile-information-privacy-not-disclosed
* Best selling Tesla 3: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-03/tesla-s-model-3-is-becoming-one-of-america-s-best-selling-sedans
* Toyota Prius Prime can drive itself: https://comma.ai
* Find where an email really came from: https://whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email * If you're hacked: https://askleo.com/email_hacked_7_things_you_need_to_do_now/
* Driver Booster (driver updater): https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php But beware the 'dark patterns!"
* Dark Patterns Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxkrdLI6e6M - The one shown.
Longer, more detailed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaubGV2OG5U